When Should You Start an Anti-Aging Skincare Routine?
When you were a kid and couldn’t wait to grow up, you probably didn’t think about wrinkles. Adding anti-aging products to your skincare routine can help you keep your skin healthier and smoother as you get older.
But how do you know when to start your anti-aging routine? Keshoume has the tips you need to start your skincare off right.
It’s Never Too Early to Start
You don’t have to wait for the wrinkles to appear before you take care of your skin—and you shouldn’t! It’s a lot easier to prevent them than it is to get rid of them.
Ideally, you should start your anti-aging routine in your early twenties. If that seems too early, think about what your skin deals with every day. You touch it, you go out in the sun, and pollutants in the air stick to it. After a while, those things wear on your skin and create spots, wrinkles, lines, and other issues beyond the beauty factor.
That said, there’s nothing wrong with protecting your skin before you hit your twenties! The earlier you care for it, the more hydrated, soft, and clear it will stay as you age.
Like any other skincare product, anti-aging products aren’t a one size fits all. You’ll need to know what your skin needs before you go all in. You don’t want to damage your skin while you’re trying to protect it, right?
What Kinds of Anti-Aging Products Should You Use?
If you’re going to start an anti-aging routine, you need a few skincare staples. You might already use some of them in your daily routine. If you don’t, now is a great time to start!
Use these basics to improve your skin early and prevent signs of aging:
• Serum: Serums get rid of free radicals and brighten your complexion.
• Eye cream: If you want to prevent crows’ feet, undereye bags, creases, and folds, an eye cream can help strengthen the thinner skin around your eyes.
• Exfoliator: Exfoliation clears away dead skin, and there are tons of products that will help you do it, from scrubs to chemical peels. You shed dead skin cells all the time—over a million per day—and you don’t want that sitting on the surface for too long.
• Night cream: Sometimes, caring for your skin during the day isn’t enough. With night cream, your skin has moisture to absorb while you sleep. Your skin starts getting dry, so it needs the extra hydration.
• Sunscreen: It sounds basic, but in this case, last is definitely not least. Sunscreen is the best way to prevent UV rays from harming your skin, and not just when it comes to sunburns. It also prevents long-term damage, like sunspots.
The Best Ingredients for Anti-Aging
Some products will claim to help you with anti-aging, but how many of them actually do? If you’re not sure, looking out for these ingredients will help you get the maximum benefit from the products you choose:
• Peptides: Peptides support collagen that keeps your skin firm. In other words: no wrinkles.
• Vitamin C: Vitamin C has antioxidants. Your skin is the first layer of defense in your body’s immune system, and you need antioxidants to keep your skin healthy starting at the source.
• Green tea: Already popular in Japanese beauty products, green tea has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants to strengthen your skin.
• Ceramides: You already have these in your skin and adding more will only give you a boost. You usually find them in moisturizers, since they help hydrate your skin. In anti-aging terms, ceramides reduce the appearance of lines.
• Coenzyme Q10: You have this antioxidant in your body, too. It helps create collagen and reduces free radicals in your skin.
• Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid traps moisture in your skin, so it stays hydrated all day.
Beyond these ingredients, you can do some simple things to protect your skin, like sticking to shady areas, wearing a hat when you go out, and eating healthy. Don’t forget that sunburns can happen year-round, not just in the heat of the summer!
If you want to improve your skincare routine, check out Keshoume’s anti-aging products and moisturizers to keep your skin going strong for years to come.
Sarah Wood - January 18, 2021
Flinn, Allie. “Skin Experts Say These Are the Best Anti-Aging Products to Use in Your 20s.” Byrdie. https://www.byrdie.com/best-anti-aging-products-for-20s. Accessed 6 January 2021.
Laderer, Ashley. “The best anti-aging ingredients for skincare, according to dermatologists.” Insider. https://www.insider.com/the-best-anti-aging-ingredients#:~:text=Some%20of%20the%20best%20anti,prevent%20the%20appearance%20of%20aging. Accessed 6 January 2021.
Russo, Gianluca. “Dermatologists say you should actually start using anti-aging products in your 20s—here’s what they recommend.” Insider. https://www.insider.com/using-anti-aging-products-too-early-2018-2#:~:text=Anti%2Daging%20products%20provide%20many,to%20develop%20wrinkles%20and%20lines. Accessed 6 January 2021.
Why Do Kids Clean Schools in Japan?
Have you ever thought, "Why is Japan so clean?". There's many reasons but one of the reasons is because children learn to clean in school. Why?Read More
How to Choose the Right Sunscreen
Choosing the right sunscreen protects you from sunburns, lowers your risk of skin cancer, prevents sun spots, etc. We're here to help you find the right one!Read More
What Do White Spots on Your Hair Mean?
White spots might look harmless at first, but they can say a lot about your hair and what it needs. We've got the tips on how to revive & care for your hair!Read More
How to Eat Sushi the Right Way
Believe it or not, there’s a wrong way to eat sushi. We're here to give you the dos & don’ts of how to eat sushi the right way.Read More